The Significance of Curb Appeal
With so many homes on the market in Metairie, New Orleans, Destrehan, Kenner and Laplace, “CURB APPEAL” is a very important first component to successfully marketing your home. Set the stage for an inviting place to call home! The first impression your home makes on a potential buyer will set the tone and attitude for the rest of the showing. Buyers will elect not to view or tour a home based on the impression the home gives from the curb.
If you are a Listing your home for sale in Luling, River Ridge, Uptown New Orleans, Lakeview, or Old Metairie, the exterior of your home will leave a lasting impression on potential buyer prospects and agents alike. An objective analysis of your home exterior is important to evaluate and develop a “to do” list prior to listing your home for sale. Try to see the property through the eyes of a potential buyer. Walk across the street and take a good look at your property. What is your first impression? What do you see that you like? What do you dislike? Can the yard and landscaping be improved? Do the flower beds need weeding, mulching or pruning? Is the walkway clear of foliage and inviting to enter? Is the pathway even and an easy to walk surface? Photograph your home and review the images in an objective manner. Take the photos at different times of the day. Take an evening photo as buyer prospects will drive by after dark. Can you make improvements? Can you add lighting, and paint the doors to provide a more inviting entry. Are all of your lamps working properly? Are the sides and rear of your property properly maintained and manicured? Do you have toys scattered around the rear yard? Is the yard cluttered?
Don’t wait! Improve your curb appeal as it will increase your likelihood to sell in Metaire, Kenner or wherever you live!
Curb Appeal Tips
- Wash and remove mold or mildew on the driveway, house, & walkways
- Keep outside toys stored away
- Organize and store away all hoses, garden tools & lawn equipment
- Clean deck, gutters, driveways, & walk-path
- Mow the lawn regularly and edge the curb & paths
- Clean the outside of the windows
- Plant flowers in beds, pull weeds and prune as needed
- Trim tree limbs and rake any leaves
- Wash all siding, soffit and fascia
- Repaint exterior trim and doors
- Repaint or replace the mailbox
- Replace or add a new doormat
- Repaint or replace address numbers
- Replace exterior hardware or light fixtures
Home buyers have difficulty visualizing changes. The appeal of the property will determine if they take a second look. Allowances for exterior repairs typically do not work. A buyer will expect a deep discount in order to deal with what they perceive is a “defect”. If you analyze the exterior and use intuition, appeal can be created cost effectively.